The Book of 1 Thessalonians – Part 1
CALVARY BAPTIST CHURCH — SOTB — AUTUMN 2016
THE BOOK OF 1 THESSALONIANS — PART ONE
Author: Paul (1 Thess 1:1) (1 Thess 2:18)
Date Written: AD 51
Where Written From:
Written by Paul from the city of Corinth shortly after his departure from Thessalonica (Acts 17:1-11). Some believe that the Thessalonian books may well have been Paul’s earliest writings.
The Glorious return of the Lord Jesus Christ: but there are also a number of other themes. The return of Christ is referred to in all 5 chapters of 1 Thessalonians.
Key Thoughts in 1 Thess 1:1
1) The 3 Human persons of 1 Thess 1:1
a) The Apostle Paul:
- A man with a Previous name — Saul (Acts 8:1) (Acts 9:1) (Acts 13:9)
- A man Born in Tarsus. (Acts 9:11)
- A Zealous Pharisee before conversion. (Acts 22:3) (Gal 1:14) (Phil 3:5)
- A Roman Citizen. (Acts 16:37)
- A Persecutor of Christians before conversion. (Acts 7:58)
- A Glorious conversion to Christ. (Acts 9:3-22)
- A Calling to be an Apostle. (Rom 1:1) (1 Cor 1:1) (Gal 1:1)
- A Believer who eventually was accepted by the disciples after they first doubted the genuineness of his conversion. (Acts 9:26-29)
- An Apostle who knows the will of God for his life
— His main mission is to the Gentiles.
(Acts 13:47-48) (Rom 11:13)
- An Apostle who has a great companion as an encourager.
- An Apostle who visits a vast number of geographical locations during his ministry.
- An Apostle who endured much persecution for the sake of the gospel.
(1 Thess 2:2)
b) Silvanus: (Silas)
- A man who was a great helper to Paul. (Acts 15:40-41)
- A man who shared a prison with Paul. (Acts 16:19-40)
- A man who witnessed a great miracle of God. (Acts 16)
- A man who was a postman for Peter
— Silas delivered Peter’s letter to Asia Minor. (1 Peter 5:12)
- His mother was a believer. (Acts 16:1)
- His Great and honourable testimony known among many.
(Acts 16:2) (1 Cor 4:17) (2 Tim 1:5)
- His zeal for the things of God and God’s people. (Phil 2:19-22)
- His genuine Gift from God. (1 Tim 4:14) (2 Tim 1:6)
- His recognition by Paul as being a genuine and true brother in Jesus.
(1 Cor 4:17) (Phil 2:22) (1 Tim 1:2) (2 Tim 1:2-4)
2) The 2 Divine Persons Mentioned in 1 Thess 1:1:
a) God Our Father:
(Rom 1:7) (1 Cor 1:3) (2 Cor 1:2) (Eph 1:2) (Phil 1:2) (Col 1:2)
(2 Thess 1:2) (1 Tim 1:2) (Philem 1:3)
b) Lord Jesus Christ:
(Acts 11:17) (Acts 15:11) (Acts 15:26) (Acts 20:21) (Acts 28:31)
3) The 2 Characteristics Of The 2 Divine Persons in 1 Thess 1:1
(1 Peter 5:10) (Psalm 84:11) (John 1:14) (Rom 5:15) (1 Cor 1:4)
Grace is Great — (Acts 4:33)
Grace is Rich — (Eph 1:7) (Eph 2:7)
Grace is exceeding — (2 Cor 9:14)
Grace is all Sufficient — (2 Cor 12:9)
Grace is all Abundant — (Rom 5:15) (Rom 5:17) (Rom 5:20)
Grace is Glorious — (Eph 1:6)
Genuine Peace comes from God alone.
(Psa 147:14) (Isa 45:7) (1 Cor 14:33)
Genuine Peace come from departing from evil. (Psalm 34:14)
Genuine Peace is a fruit of righteousness. (James 3:18)
Genuine Peace is something believers should love. (Zec 8:19)
Genuine Peace is something believers should seek. (1 Peter 3:11)
Genuine Peace is something believers should live in.
(2 Corinthians 13:11)
Genuine Peace is something which believers should have with one another.
(Mark 9:50) (1 Thess 5:13)
Key Thoughts in 1 Thess 1:2
1) Paul Gave Thanks for the Thessalonian Christians.
(Rom 1:8-9) (Romans 6:17) (1 Corinthians 1:4) (Phil 1:3-4) (Col 1:3)
2) Paul Prayed for the Thessalonian Christians.
(Romans 1:9-10) (Eph 1:16) (2 Tim 1:3) (Col 1:9) (1 Sam 12:23)
(Philemon 1:4) (1 Thess 3:10) (2 Thess 1:11) (Acts 20:36) (Acts 21:5)
(Jer 42:4) (Phil 1:4)
Key Thoughts in 1 Thess 1:3
“Three characteristics of the Thessalonian Believers”
a) Work of Faith (Examples of Work of Faith)
1) A Genuine work of Faith
cannot bear evil and will interrogate false teachers. (Rev 2:2)
2) A Genuine work of Faith
will result in good works and almsdeeds. (Acts 9:36)
3) A Genuine work of Faith
will give as giving unto Jesus. (Matt 25:35-36)
4) A Genuine work of Faith
will involve good work in God’s House. (Neh 13:14)
5) A Genuine work of Faith
will involve 100% dedication to Christ. (Matt 26:7-10)
b) Labour of Love (Example of Labour of Love)
1) A work of Love towards others who are dear to us in the Body of Christ.
(1 Thess 2:8)
2) A Heartfelt Love towards others in the Body of Christ.
(Phil 1:7) (1 Thess 2:11)
3) A Heartfelt Love for God and His Work. which results in a Heartfelt Love towards His People
c) Patience of Hope
(Much of the books of 1 and 2 Thessalonians are taken up with the HOPE believers have which marks them out from the unbeliever):
A summary of Bible Hope is worthwhile here as so much of what is said about bible hope is not really Hope at all:
The following is a miniature synopsis of
“There are three important aspects of Hope as mentioned in the scripture”
1) The Hope Of The Wicked:
This generally involves; money, possessions, and doing what I want without including God in my thinking.
a) The Hope Of The Wicked Will Perish:
(Job 8:13) (Job 11:20) (Job 27:8) (Prov 11:7)
b) The Hope Of The Wicked Results In No God. (Eph 2:12)
2) The Hope Of The Believer — The Object Of Their Hope:
a) The object of the Believer’s Hope is The Lord God Himself.
The Genuine Believer Can Have No Hope Or Confidence In Himself.
(Psalm 31:24) (Psalm 42:11) (Psalm 71:4-5) (Psalm 146:5)
b) The Object of the Believer’s Hope is The Mercy Of The Lord.
c) The Object of the Believer’s Hope is The Lord Jesus Christ Himself.
(1 Tim 1:1) (Titus 2:13)
3) The Hope Of The Believer
— What This Hope Results In
— What Difference Does It Make In A Saved Person’s Life:
a) Genuine Bible Hope Causes A Saved Person
NOT TO BE ASHAMED OR DISAPPOINTED:
(Rom 5:5) (Phil 1:20) (Rom 1:16) (Rom 10:11) (2 Tim 1:8)
b) Genuine Bible Hope Causes A Saved Person
TO GLORY IN TRIBULATIONS:
(Job 3:15) (Rom 5:3-5)
c) Genuine Bible Hope Causes A Saved Person To
HAVE THE EXPECTATION OF BEING SET FREE
FROM THE BONDAGE OF CORRUPTION:
d) Genuine Bible Hope Causes A Saved Person To
BE LOOKING OUT FOR THE RETURN OF JESUS:
e) Genuine Bible Hope Causes A Saved Person To
HAVE AN ANCHOR FOR THEIR SOUL:
f) Genuine Bible Hope Causes A Saved Person To
(1 John 3:3)
g) Genuine Bible Hope Causes A Saved Person To
BE GLAD AND NOT MISERABLE:
h) Genuine Bible Hope Causes A Saved Person To
LOOK FORWARD TO ETERNAL LIFE:
(1 Thess 5:8) (Col 1:27)
i) Genuine Bible Hope Causes A Saved Person To
HAVE GREATER CONFIDENCE IN THE THINGS OF GOD:
(Psalm 71:5) (Heb 3:6)
j) Genuine Bible Hope Causes A Saved Person To
BELIEVE IN THE IMPOSSIBLE BEING MADE POSSIBLE:
***Notice Here That Faith Resulted In Hope
And Hope Resulted In Faith***
k) Genuine Bible Hope Causes A Saved Person To
BE SURE OF A RESURRECTION:
(1 Peter 1:3) (Acts 23:6)
l) Genuine Bible Hope Causes A Saved Person To
APPRECIATE THE GRACE OF GOD:
(2 Thess 2:16)
m) Genuine Bible Hope Causes A Saved Person To
PROCLAIM THE GOSPEL:
***Because The Gospel Is Mankind’s Only Hope***
(Col 1:23) (2 Corinthians 3:12) (1 Peter 3:15)
n) Genuine Bible Hope Causes A Saved Person To
ABOUND IN THE THINGS OF CHRIST:
o) Genuine Bible Hope Causes A Saved Person To
BE STEADFAST IN FAITH:
(1 Thess 1:3)