The Book of 1 Thessalonians – Part 8
CALVARY BAPTIST CHURCH — SOTB
THE BOOKS OF 1 & 2 THESSALONIANS
AUTUMN TERM 2016 — PART 8
1 Thessalonians 3:5-10
1 Thess 3:5: I sent to know your faith.
An interesting statement of Paul to the church of the Thessalonians. Paul was very aware that not everyone who apparently made a profession of faith in Christ was actually saved and he wanted to KNOW and be sure that all at Thessaloniki were truly born again. This is an important subject.
1) Paul says in 2 Corinthians 13:5
“Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith”
2) Jeremiah says in Lamentations 3:40
“Let us search and try our ways”
It is worthwhile halting at this point just to outline
the 13 point test of GENUINE faith in 1 John:
1) Genuine Faith is evidenced by walking in God’s Light. (1 John 1:6)
2) Genuine Faith is evidenced by agreeing with God that we are a Sinner.
(1 John 1:10)
3) Genuine Faith is evidenced by keeping God’s Commandments.
(1 John 2:3-4) (1 John 5:2)
4) Genuine Faith is evidenced by Loving our Christian Brothers and Sisters.
(1 John 2:9-11) (1 John 3:14) (1 John 4:20-21)
5) Genuine Faith is evidenced by NOT loving the World System.
(1 John 2:15-16)
6) Genuine Faith is evidenced by Continuing on in Genuine Doctrine.
(1 John 2:19)
7) Genuine Faith is evidenced by NOT Habitually Sinning. (1 John 3:8-10)
8) Genuine Faith is evidenced by believers Receiving Answers To Prayers.
(1 John 3:22) (1 John 5:14-15)
9) Genuine Faith is evidenced by
Genuine believers Believing that God Became Flesh.
(1 John 4:1-3)
10) Genuine Faith is evidenced by the Holy Spirit Dwelling in true believers.
(1 John 4:13) (Rom 8:9)
11) Genuine Faith is evidenced by believers Overcoming The World.
(1 John 5:4-5)
12) Genuine Faith is evidenced by a Solid Belief in the Holy Trinity.
(1 John 5:7)
13) Genuine faith is evidenced by believing that Jesus Truly Is FULLY God.
(1 John 5:20)
1 Thess 3:5: The tempter
1) Satan as the Tempter caused Eve to fall. (Gen 3:1-5)
2) Satan as the Tempter attempted to Tempt God. (Job 2:4-5)
3) Satan as the Tempter endeavours to Tempt believers to get Angry.
4) Satan as the Tempter even Tempts believers and Sifts The Strongest.
5) Satan as the Tempter endeavours to
Tempt and draw believers into his Snare.
(1 Tim 3:7) (2 Tim 2:26)
6) Satan as the Tempter even Tempts believers to Lie To God. (Acts 5:3-9)
7) Satan as the Tempter is desirous to get the ADVANTAGE over a believer.
(2 Corinthians 2:10-11)
8) Satan as the Tempter even Tempted Jesus. (Matt 4:1-11)
9) Satan as the Tempter wants to Destroy The Believer. (1 Peter 5:8)
1 Thess 3:5: And our labour be in vain
A great concern of Paul was that he would sink time; effort; and commitment into the gospel work and because of people’s lukewarmness and non receptive heart his work would turn out to be fruitless and void of meaning and count for nothing.
(Phil 2:16) (Galatians 2:2) (Gal 4:11) (Isaiah 49:4) (1 Thess 2:1)
1 Thess 3:6
In this verse Paul is encouraged by the reports Timothy brought back from the Thessalonian church. They seemed to be developing well in the things of God and this would have been a great reassurance to the Pastor heart of Paul.
Note the 5 characteristics of the believers at Thessaloniki stated here:
1) There was GOOD TIDINGS from the Thessalonians.
This would have been an overwhelming blessing to Paul’s Pastor heart.
2) There was Good News in the fact that their FAITH appeared to be strong.
3) There was Good News in the fact that
the Thessalonians had Love for One Another.
4) There was Good News in the fact that
the Thessalonians Remembered both Paul and Timothy
and without doubt would have Remembered them in prayer frequently.
5) There was Good News in the fact that
the Thessalonian Believers Desired to see Paul and Timothy.
(2 Thess 1:3-4) (1 Thess 2:19) (2 Corinthians 8:7)
1 Thess 3:7
The good news Timothy brought to Paul was a source of encouragement and comfort for Paul
1 Thess 3:8: For now we live.
Paul having received the good news that Timothy brought
— Paul now indicates that because of this he can LIVE
— i.e. he can move on and preach the gospel to new ears and listeners knowing that all is well at Thessaloniki. His concern and possible anxiety for them is over and he can move on in God’s work.
1 Thess 3:8: If ye stand fast in the Lord
This statement of Paul reminds us that for all believers there has to be a standing fast for the things they believe and hold to be true.
(1 Cor 16:13) (Gal 5:1) (Phil 1:27) (Phil 4:1) (2 Thess 2:15) (Ex 18:23)
(Col 1:23) (Eph 6:11) (1 Peter 5:9) (Hebrews 3:6) (Hebrews 3:14)
(Hebrews 10:23) (Joshua 23:6) (Eph 6:13) (Jeremiah 4:1) (Psalm 62:2)
(Psalm 62:6) (1 Corinthians 15:58)
1 Thess 3:9
This statement talks about Joy
— The subject of Joy is prominent in scripture and for the most part opposite in definition to what the unbeliever would understand as joy.
It is worth looking at some of the things in scripture that should CAUSE the believer real Joy:
1) Believers have Joy when they are with other Believers.
(1 Thess 3:9) (1 Thess 2:19-20) (2 Tim 1:4)
2) Believers have Joy when they truly BELIEVE.
(Romans 15:13) (1 Peter 1:8)
3) Believers have Joy when they are in the Presence Of God.
4) Believers have Joy when they Read and Study God’s word.
(John 15:11) (1 John 1:4) (Jeremiah 15:16)
5) Believers have Joy when they Genuinely Worship God.
(Psalm 100:1-2) (2 Chron 29:30) (Luke 24:52)
6) Believers have Joy as they believe in the Virgin Birth.
(Luke 2:8-11) (Matt 2:10)
7) Believers have Joy as they Walk In Truth. (3 John 1:4)
8) Believers have Joy
when they Think About The Wonder And Depth Of Their Salvation.
(Isaiah 12:3) (Habakkuk 3:18) (Luke 1:47)
9) Believers have Joy if they are Dedicated Soul Winners.
(Psalm 126:5) (Phil 2:16) (Acts 15:3)
10) Believers have Joy because of the Indwelling Holy Spirit.
(Romans 14:17) (Gal 5:22) (Acts 13:52)
11) Believers have Joy because God has Given them Power Over Devils.
12) Believers have Joy when they Turn From Idols.
(2 Chron 23:21) (2 Chron 15:14-15)
13) Believers have Joy if they are In the Will of God and Do the Will of God.
14) Believers have Joy as they contemplate their Rewards In Heaven.
(Matt 5:12) (Luke 6:23) (Matt 25:21)
15) Believers have Joy if they are Prepared to have Willing Hearts.
(1 Chron 29:9)
16) Believers have Joy when they are Delivered From Bondage.
17) Believers have Joy
when they ensure they have NO Confidence In The Flesh.
18) Believers have Joy because of the Divine Protection God Gives Them.
19) Believers have Joy when They Do Right. (Proverbs 21:15)
20) Believers have Joy When They Abide IN Christ. (John 15:10-11)
21) Believers have Joy as they contemplate the Resurrection.
22) Believers have Joy when they are Gentle and Meek. (Isaiah 29:19)
23) Believers have Joy because of their Hope Of The Glory Of God.
24) Believers have Joy
because Their Names Are Written In The Book Of Life.
1 Thess 3:10 (a):
Night and day praying exceedingly that we that we might see your face
An interesting statement giving us some insight into
the prayer life of the great Apostle Paul:
1) Paul prayed Exceedingly — i.e. Frequently And Often.
2) Paul prayed Earnestly — i.e. with Urgency And Persistence.
3) Paul prayed Very Hard Night And Day
— He considered praying as working but knew it was worth it as God graciously chose to answer his Prayers.
“These Characteristics of prayer are reflected in many parts of the scripture”
(Psalm 40:1) (Psalm 88:1) (1 Chron 16:11) (Psalm 116:2) (Acts 1:14)
(Acts 2:42) (Eph 6:18) (Romans 12:12) (1 Thess 5:17) (Psalm 130:1-2)
(Micah 7:7) (Psalm 27:14) (Luke 18:1) (1 Sam 7:8) (Psalm 86:3)
(2 Tim 1:3) (Romans 1:9) (Col 1:9) (Psalm 55:17) (1 Tim 5:5) (Matt 7:7-8)
(Col 4:12) (Psalm 61:1-2)