Homiletics Lesson 1
SCHOOL of the BIBLE
Instructor: J. VandenHurk
Monday, 16th January 2017
WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT PREACHING?
1) Preaching makes God’s enemies angry.
First mention of preaching in the Bible is when Sanballat used it as an accusation.
The enemies of God hate preaching.
2) Preachers should not refrain from saying something because of fear of people. Fear God, not those you are speaking to.
3) Preachers seek to preach out of their own experience with God. Receive God’s wisdom from God’s Word and then relay what you have learned to the people.
4) Preaching is an anointed work.
Preaching is described here as not merely academic, but as spiritual work. The Holy Spirit is the One Who anoints us to do this work.
5) Preaching is only saying what God tells us to speak.
– The preacher must find what God tells us in His Word.
– The preacher must be led of God in his message.
6) Preaching and teaching is what marked the ministry of the Lord.
Matthew 4:17; 10:7, 27; 11:1; Mark 1:4, 38; 3:14; 16:15; Luke 4:18-19, 33
7) Preaching is not confined to a pulpit; our whole life should be preaching.
8) Preaching is telling what you hear with fervency and enthusiasm.
9) Preaching should be bringing men to repentance.
Matthew 12:41 (Luke 11:32)
10) Preachers’ first call is to be “with” Christ. As we follow Him, we can then preach to others. Develop a devotional life with Him, living consciously in His presence.
11) Preaching is sharing the Gospel.
12) Preachers should expect that when we preach, God works.
13) Preaching must be to all people, not just to a certain group.
Luke 7:22 (Acts 8:25)
14) Preaching is a God given desire. Preachers are sent by God.
15) Preaching is something that you cannot get away from if you are called.
16) Preachers should preach the same message everywhere.
17) Preaching should always have Christ as the central message.
Acts 4:1-2; 8:5; 8:35; 9:20
18) Preaching should be done consistently; it is God’s way to communicate truth.
– The Consistency of preaching – “daily”
– The Congregation of preaching – “in the temple and in every house”
– The Content of preaching – “Jesus Christ”
19) Preachers should be everywhere.
20) Preachers should preach the Kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ.
21) Preaching peace is useless unless it is the peace of Jesus Christ.
Acts 10:36 (Jeremiah 6:13-14)
22) Preaching is serious business. It should never be taken lightly.
23) Preaching is helped and advanced by persecution and getting out of our comfort zone.
24) Preaching is directed by the Holy Ghost.
25) Preaching should be done with assurance in God and His Word, not in self.
26) Preaching should be a major part of when God’s people gather for fellowship.
27) Preaching is sometimes hard to listen to. Content is more important than length.
28) Preaching is a holy obligation that we should give our lives to.
29) Preaching with confidence grows out of our content, not our conditions.
30) Preachers should always be ready.
Romans 1:15 (2 Timothy 4:2)
31) Preachers must always make it clear how to be saved.
32) Preachers of the truth are exactly what people truly need.
33) Preaching begins with God. He desires for people to hear the truth of His Word. We are His messengers sent by Him.
34) Preaching, if you are sent, is a wonderful, beautiful thing to do with your life.
35) Preaching requires God’s power.
Romans 15:19 (1 Thessalonians 1:5)
36) Preaching requires work and is itself work.
37) Preaching is not to impress people; it is to influence them.
1 Corinthians 1:17; 2:4
38) Preaching’s mission, message, and method must be simple.
1 Corinthians 1:17
39) Preaching is only powerful if it leads to the cross.
1 Corinthians 1:18
40) Preaching is what God has chosen to accomplish His work.
1 Corinthians 1:21
41) Preaching is foolishness to many people, but more important to please God.
1 Corinthians 1:21
(Scott Pauley, “If the preacher pleases Christ and the people, that’s great; if he pleases God and not the people, that’s tough; if he pleases the people and not God, he has failed.”)
42) Preachers must preach “Christ crucified.”
1 Corinthians 1:23 (Acts 17:3; 2 Corinthians 4:5)
43) Preachers should be cared for by the local church.
1 Corinthians 9:14
44) Preachers have nothing to glory in but the Gospel.
1 Corinthians 9:16a
45) Preachers are on dangerous ground if they drop out of the ministry.
1 Corinthians 9:16b
46) Preachers should not ask for or expect things from people (God provides).
1 Corinthians 9:18
47) Preachers must be on guard in their personal lives, with good bodily discipline. *Our preaching and our living need to be consistent.
1 Corinthians 9:27
48) Preaching is not vain because of the empty tomb (foundation of the message)
1 Corinthians 15:14
49) Preaching should be about Christ, not yourself. He gets all the glory.
2 Corinthians 4:5 (I Cor. 10:31)
50) Preachers should always be seeking to preach to those who’ve never heard.
2 Corinthians 10:16
51) Preachers must be examined that they are actually speaking the truth.
52) Preaching must be of God in its origin and its object.
53) Preaching comes first from God.
54) Preachers endeavor to preach even when they don’t feel like it.
55) Preaching should make a man humble, not haughty.
56) Preachers rejoice anytime Christ is preached.
57) Preaching has a biblical pattern to it. It has to be both negative and positive in order to mature believers.
Colossians 1:24-29 (a preacher’s job description is here)
58) Preachers get their authority from God.
1 Timothy 2:7 (2 Timothy 1:11)
59) Preachers must not just preach anything; they must preach the Word.
*What characterizes our church in our town? Preaching God’s Word should be the distinguishing characteristic of every New Testament church. We should never try to de-emphasize or replace preaching the Word. There is no greater influence on the church than the pulpit.
2 Timothy 4:2 (Acts 8:4; 20:27)
60) Preachers are strengthened by the Lord.
2 Timothy 4:17a
61) Preaching is making the message clear and leaving the results to God.
2 Timothy 4:17b
62) Preaching takes the veil away from God’s Word so people can see the Lord.
63) Preaching depends not just on the preacher, but also on the people who hear.
64) Preaching has an eternal message. The declaration of God’s truth has something to say about everything that happens in the world today. There is nothing of more eternal value than delivering God’s Word to people.
1 Peter 1:25
65) Preachers of righteousness are especially sought out by God in the evil days.
2 Peter 2:5